With more people turning to plant-based diets, vegan and vegetarian travel have become a popular topic for foodies around the world. Whether you’re a lifelong vegan or someone who’s transitioning to a more plant-based lifestyle, it’s important to know which cities can best accommodate your dietary needs and offer a variety of delicious options.
Fortunately, there are plenty of cities in the US and abroad that cater to vegan and vegetarian travelers. From California to Bangkok, you’ll find an abundance of plant-based restaurants, vegan-friendly hotels, and exciting culinary scenes that will satisfy even the most discriminating taste buds. In this article, we’ll take a look at the 10 best cities for vegan and vegetarian travelers, taking into account factors such as food options, affordability, and cultural experiences. So, pack your bags and get ready to indulge in some of the best vegan and vegetarian cuisine the world has to offer!
Title: ##Top 10 Vegan and Vegetarian Cities in North America
If you’re a vegan or vegetarian traveler, it can be challenging to find good food options while on the road. Luckily, there are some cities in North America that cater to plant-based eaters! Here are the top 10 cities that should be on your travel bucket list:
- Portland, Oregon – Portland has been dubbed the “vegan capital of the world” for a good reason. With over 500 vegan-friendly restaurants, cafes, and food carts, the city offers something for every taste bud. Some popular vegan eateries include Blossoming Lotus and Homegrown Smoker.
- Los Angeles, California – Los Angeles is known for its healthy lifestyle, and the vegan and vegetarian scene is no exception. You’ll find plenty of options in the city, including the famous vegan fast-food joint, Veggie Grill.
- New York City, New York – Being one of the biggest multicultural cities in the world, it’s no surprise that you’ll find some excellent vegan and vegetarian cuisine. New York City offers more than 180 restaurants that serve plant-based food. Some popular options include Avant Garden and Champs Diner.
- Vancouver, British Columbia – Vancouver has no shortage of vegan and vegetarian spots with over 60 restaurants to choose from! The city also hosts Canada’s largest vegan festival, Veg Expo, every year.
- Austin, Texas – Austin may be known for its BBQ, but it also has an impressive vegan and vegetarian scene. With over 100 places to enjoy plant-based meals, it’s no wonder that PETA named Austin one of the top vegan-friendly cities in America.
- Seattle, Washington – Seattle has something to offer for every taste bud. From vegan seafood to BBQ, you’ll find a diverse range of vegan and vegetarian spots in the city. The iconic Plum Bistro is always worth a visit.
- Denver, Colorado – Denver’s vegan and vegetarian scene has seen significant growth in recent years. The city now has over 90 vegan restaurants, cafes, and food trucks. City, O’ City is a favorite among locals.
- Montreal, Quebec – Montreal may be known for its poutine, but vegans don’t have to miss out on the tasty cuisine. The city boasts over 100 vegan and vegetarian-friendly businesses, including the popular vegan bakery, Sophie Sucrée.
- San Francisco, California – San Francisco has long been considered a hub for healthy living, and the vegan and vegetarian community is strong. With vegan sushi and cheesecake options, you’ll want to check out Shizen Vegan Sushi Bar and Wildseed.
- Toronto, Ontario – Toronto has a diverse population, and you can see that diversity reflected in the city’s vegan and vegetarian options. Toronto is home to over 160 vegan and vegetarian-friendly businesses, including the well-loved diner, Cosmic Treats.
These top 10 vegan and vegetarian cities in North America offer a variety of vegan and vegetarian-friendly businesses. So, whether you’re a foodie, traveler, or health nut, be sure to add these cities to your travel bucket list!
Portland, Oregon: A Vegan Haven
If you’re a vegan or vegetarian traveller, chances are high that you’ve heard about Portland, Oregon. The city is known for its thriving food scene and is often touted as a vegan haven. Here’s why:
1. Vegan-friendly restaurants
Portland is home to a wide range of vegan-friendly restaurants, cafes, and food carts. Some of the best-known eateries include Homegrown Smoker, which serves up vegan barbeque, and Blossoming Lotus, which offers an extensive plant-based menu. Other popular spots include Portobello Vegan Trattoria, Farm Spirit, and No Bones Beach Club.
2. Vegan festivals
If you happen to be in Portland during the right time of year, you can take advantage of the city’s many vegan festivals. These include the VegOut! Portland Vegan Beer and Food Festival and the Portland VegFest. These festivals showcase vegan food, drinks, and products, and also offer educational sessions and cooking demonstrations.
3. Vegan shopping
In addition to the delicious food options, Portland also has plenty of vegan shopping opportunities. For example, foodies can stock up on vegan snacks at Food Fight! Grocery or head to Herbivore Clothing Company for vegan apparel. There are also several cruelty-free cosmetics shops in the city, including Lush and Seagrape Bath and Body.
4. Veg-friendly activities
Finally, Portland is a great destination for travellers who want to explore the great outdoors. The city is home to dozens of parks, trails, and nature preserves, making it easy to get some exercise and fresh air. And with plenty of farmers’ markets and organic food stores around, it’s easy to find plant-based snacks to take on your adventures.
In conclusion, Portland, Oregon is a great choice for vegan and vegetarian travellers. With its many food options, festivals, shopping opportunities, and outdoor activities, it’s easy to see why the city has become such a popular destination.
Vegan Delight in Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles is a paradise for vegan and vegetarian foodies. You’ll find tons of diverse eateries around L.A. that cater to your plant-based lifestyle! Here are some of our top picks:
- Cafe Gratitude – This restaurant is an excellent place to grab brunch, lunch, or dinner with vegan, organic, & gluten-free options. The menu features a range of healthy dishes like Macrobiotic Bowls, Pancake Breakfasts, Fresh Pressed Juices, and Grilled Tempeh Taco Salads.
- Real Food Daily – This casual vegan cafe with a 100% plant-based menu offers farm-to-table and organic Californian cuisines, such as the organic Macro Bowl, Turkey Dinner Plate, the Tempeh Burger, and the ‘Chicken’ Caesar Salad.
- Crossroads Kitchen – This popular vegan restaurant features rich Mediterranean dishes made of fresh and organic ingredients, from Rainbow Cauliflower, Moroccan Spiced Carrots, to Spaghetti and Impossible Meatballs.
- The Butcher’s Daughter – This stylish plant-based restaurant features fresh, organic, and vegetarian-friendly meals that include avocado toast, savory bowls, juices, and smoothies. Try their hearty and healthy Thai Peanut Bowl or a towering stack of Pancakes.
- Sage Vegan Bistro – With several locations across LA, Sage offers a vibrant, globally inspired vegan menu that showcases classic comfort food with a healthy modern twist. We couldn’t recommend their Vegan Mac Attack, Korean Fried Broccoli, or GF Tempeh Burgers enough.
If you’re looking to explore Los Angeles’ unique vegan and vegetarian culture, be sure to add these gems to your list!
Vegan-Friendly Toronto in Canada
Toronto is not only a cosmopolitan city but also a destination that caters to everyone, including vegans and vegetarians. With over 100 vegan-friendly restaurants, Toronto has quickly emerged as one of the best cities for vegan travelers.
Here are some reasons why Toronto should be on your travel itinerary if you’re a vegan or vegetarian:
- A Wide Selection of Vegan Restaurants: Toronto has been successful in providing a considerable number of vegan restaurants to choose from that feature a wide range of cuisines. The city’s vegan diners include some famous names like Planta, Hogtown Vegan, Fresh Restaurants, and more.
- Vegan Festivals: The city of Toronto hosts several festivals that pay special attention to vegan and vegetarian cuisine. The Veg Food Fest is one of the largest food festivals that take place annually in Toronto and features over 150 vendors and exhibitors.
- Vegan Baked Goods: Toronto is the perfect place for vegans looking for delicious treats because the city offers some of the best vegan bakeries. One of the city’s favorite local spots is Bunner’s Bakery, where you can indulge in yummy cinnamon buns, cakes and cupcakes.
- Vegan Market: Toronto is also home to the Vegan Market, a popular marketplace that sells vegan products like jewelry, clothing, and home décor items. This is a great place to find vegan snacks and other locally produced products like Vegan Poutine, Vegan Tacos, nachos, and more.
Overall, Toronto is a vegan-friendly city that welcomes vegans and vegetarians. So whether you’re looking to try something new or indulge in some classic vegan favorites, this city has got you covered with an abundance of options.
The Best Vegan Dishes in Berlin, Germany
Berlin, Germany is a haven for vegan and vegetarian food enthusiasts, with its streets lined with a plethora of cafes, restaurants, and food trucks serving delicious plant-based cuisine. Here are some of the best vegan dishes to try in Berlin:
Currywurst is a popular German street food typically made with pork sausage, tomato sauce, and curry powder. However, in Berlin, you can find vegan versions made with seitan or tofu. You can try this classic dish at places like Curry 36 and Yellow Sunshine.
2. Döner Kebab
Another popular street food in Germany is the Döner Kebab, often made with lamb or chicken. Veggie kebab shops are prevalent in Berlin, offering seitan or soy-based “meats” as a filling. Some great vegan kebab shops to try are Vöner and Mustafa’s Gemüse Kebap.
Schnitzel is a traditional German dish made with meat that has been breaded and fried. Many restaurants in Berlin have vegan versions made with seitan or soy. Head to Kopps or Kumpel & Keule for crispy, flavorful vegan schnitzel.
Berlin’s thriving vegan food scene has even brought vegan donut shops to the city, such as Brammibals Donuts and Doughnuts & More. These vegan donuts are made without the use of eggs or dairy, and come in a variety of creative flavors such as peanut butter and jelly and matcha.
5. Ice Cream
Finally, to satisfy your sweet tooth, Berlin has numerous vegan ice cream shops. Places like Eis Voh and Caramello offer a wide range of vegan flavors such as coconut, hazelnut, and chocolate.
Overall, Berlin is a fantastic destination for vegan and vegetarian travelers, offering a wide variety of plant-based dishes to suit all tastes and preferences.
Vegan and Vegetarian Gems in Bangkok, Thailand
If you’re a vegan or vegetarian, you’ll be happy to know that Bangkok offers a plethora of options for anyone who wants to indulge in meatless cuisine. From local street food to fancy restaurants, you’ll be able to find something that suits your taste buds. Here are some vegan and vegetarian gems in Bangkok, Thailand that you won’t want to miss:
Broccoli Revolution is a popular plant-based restaurant located in the heart of Bangkok’s Sukhumvit area. The restaurant offers a fantastic range of vegan and vegetarian dishes using locally sourced and organic ingredients. Be sure to try their vegan pizza, vegan burger, and vegan ice cream.
With four locations across Bangkok, Veganerie is a 100% vegan bakery that offers both sweet and savory treats. From sandwiches to pancakes and waffles, Veganerie has a vast range of choices that cater to any craving. Their vegan bakery items are also egg-free, dairy-free, and made without any artificial preservatives.
May Veggie Home
May Veggie Home is an entirely vegetarian restaurant located near Victory Monument BTS Station. It offers a healthy and diverse menu of vegetarian Thai and International cuisines, including vegan versions of traditional Thai dishes like Tom Kha Soup and Green Curry. With a homely atmosphere, it’s a great spot for a casual dining experience.
Sustaina is a vegan-friendly restaurant located in Silom area, offering a plant-based menu with a fusion of Thai, Indian, and Western flavors. They prepare their dishes fresh and on-site with no artificial colorings, flavorings, or preservatives, making this an excellent option for those looking for healthy and nutritious meals.
Ethos Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant
Located in historic Chinatown, Ethos Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant is a cozy and charming restaurant that sources local and organic ingredients to create delicious vegan and vegetarian food. Their dishes include soups, salads, wraps, and burgers, and all served in a sustainable and eco-friendly environment.
Thailand’s Plant-Based Markets
Bangkok is also home to plant-based markets, such as the Bangkok Farmers’ Market, the Plant-Based Market, and Made by Legacy Flea Market. These markets offer plant-based and vegan products from a range of local vendors, including vegan snacks, plant-based dairy alternatives, fresh fruits and vegetables, and much more.
Pack your bags, and head to Bangkok, where the vegan and vegetarian gastronomy scene offers you something new and exciting with every turn.
Conclusion: A World of Vegan and Vegetarian Destinations
Congratulations! You’ve just discovered some of the best cities and destinations around the world where vegans and vegetarians can explore, enjoy, and indulge in diverse and flavorful cuisine without any limitations or compromises. Consider this article as your ultimate guide to discovering new and exciting places to satisfy your culinary desires, learn about different cultures and traditions, and experience new adventures.
Whether you’re a plant-based foodie searching for new vegan delights or a health-conscious traveler in search of nourishing vegetarian options, you’re sure to find something to suit your taste buds in any of the cities we’ve covered. From Amsterdam and Berlin to Bali and Chiang Mai, each of the destinations on the list presents a unique atmosphere, diverse culinary options, and plenty of things to see and do.
While these cities are some of the best places for vegan and vegetarian travelers, there are countless other destinations out there that are just as exciting and fulfilling. From bustling metropolises to tranquil villages, you can always find suitable options that cater to your dietary preference and lifestyle.
So, pack your bags, book your tickets, and embark on a journey of self-discovery. With so many vegan and vegetarian-friendly destinations around the world, there’s no reason not to indulge in all the incredible flavors and experiences that await you.